Sunday, March 10, 2013

Blog Post 8


This is How We Dream

While watching This is How We Dream Parts 1 and 2 I was fascinated by all the points Dr. Richard Miller made. He discusses the growing world of technology and all of its many incredible uses in education. Writing has changed so much since the beginning. Dr. Miller starts by saying "we're living at the moment of the greatest change in human communicate in human community". Dr. Miller spent his time writing and understanding writing as a solitaire activity. He was raised in a house full with book and feel in love with Literature. Dr. Miller makes a point about how the internet allows us to work at a distance. You don't have to be in the same place with another person to communicate with them.

In part 2, Dr. Miller explains how our methods of research have changed. It can take a long period of time for new information to be put in our libraries, but moments to put resources on websites such as Alabama Virtual Library. Through the videos, Dr. Miller tries to get the point across to educators that they shouldn't be teaching only through reading or writing information, but through videos, and presentations, and audio clips. This also opens up the opportunity to mold your lesson plan to benefit all types of learning styles.

I feel that it is important to incorporate as many different medias while teaching that you can. Doing this can truly enrich your lesson. Dr. Miller made a quote "Limits and restrictions are largely ones we place on ourselves". We should put ourselves to keep a open mind and look beyond the obvious.

Carly Pugh

Carly Pugh writes in her blog about ways to get students more interested in the teachings. Finding something engaging will get a lot of students involve. Carly presents writing with multi-media by being creative and using the resource on the web to teach. Modern technology can assist in the education and growth of our youth, and there is more out there available than videos. Youtube is the perfect example. I have watched many videos that have helped me in my classes. I think that Carly did a great job of writing with media. Her media playlist was intriguing. Many of the videos really got me to think. Carly challenges us to be the best teacher we can be.

EDM 310 HELP!

The videos for this portion of the assignment were great. I watched them when the class first started and they really helped me. Time management is the key to success in EDM 310. It just takes a dedication and you will be fine. The Chipper Series is about a student who dropped out of college because they thought it was too hard and time consuming. The student later became a garbage collector and from watching this video, its shows that things will not come easy. To succeed, you have to want it and, of course, work for it!

Learning to Change, Change to Learn

In Learning to Change, Change to Learn the statement is made that children do not learn solely at school, but in many places. Children's brains are like sponges. They are absorbing everything they see and hear. With technology constantly changing, students need to learn how to work up to it. The point is made that students should be learning, in school, how to retrieve information from the world outside of the classroom, and to be able to use that information in the correct way to solve problems. It is important as teachers, we teach our students how to differ between reliable and unreliable information. I feel it is important as a 21st century educator to show those children how to use computers meaningfully, in a way to further their educations.

Scavenger Hunt

Part 1. For a social network similar to Facebook and Twitter, I chose Edmodo. Edmodo helps connect all learners with the people and resources needed to reach their full potential. You can create groups, and give out a code for the students to enter in the site in order to become a part of the group. It is a great way for students to interact with their teacher if they happen to have any questions after school hours. It is also a way for their parents to interact with them and the teacher.
Part 2. To make my own comic I used Make Belief Comics. I could not figure out how to post my comic so here is the link: My Comic.
Part 3. I have never used Animoto before, and was very interested in it. I was attracted to it because it is made specifically for use in the classroom. It is an easy way for teachers to comprise a video for their lesson without having to put forth a ton of effort. Animoto takes all of your pictures and music and automatically makes it into a video, so all you have to worry with is adding audio, if you want it. I think this is a great tool to use in the classroom that doesn't take a lot of time.
Part 4. Poll Everywhere is where I went to make my very first poll. Here is the link to my poll: My poll.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Gwendolyn,
    The internet is an amazing tool in the world of education. It is very true that conventional libraries take much longer to get updated information than the internet does. By the time libraries can have the books available there will be new updated information. Incorporating many different media types while teaching is very important. I agree that modern technology defiantly can assist in the education and growth of our youth. I also have used the internet many times to help me with my assignments in college. I agree it is very important to teach our students the difference between reliable and unreliable information. They need to learn to use computers to help them succeed in life not just to update a facebook status. I really enjoyed reading your blog. Keep up the good work and good luck in future as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete