Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Special Blog Post 1

Misinterpreted Data

Misinterpreting data can be an easy mistake if your brain in not turned on! I did a WolframAlpha search on the population in China, India, and the United States. The results: China-1.35 billion people, India-1.21 billion people, and United States-309 million people. As the results show, the United States is out numbered to both of these countries.

WolfranAlpha Searches

WolfranAlpha is a search engine on knowledge. For fun I searched "What is the french word for love?". I already knew the answer, but I wanted to see how detailed the search engine was. It was a nice delight to see the answer. Love as a feeling translates to "amour" and love as a preference translates to "adorer". I also searched "Leaning Tower of Pisa angle". The answer is "3.99 degrees after restoration preformed between 1990-2001.". WolfranAlpha also gives me the comparisons as plane angels.

WolfranAlpha was created by Stephan Wolfram and his team. WolframAlpha's long-term goal is to make all systematic knowledge immediately computable and accessible to everyone. This is a very useful search engine, because not only does it answer your questions, but it goes the extra mile. It gives you charts, related information, and anything it feels to be useful. This can be a incredibly useful tool in the classroom for a student and for me as a future teacher. Children are full of question and many are completely random. Imagine being in a classroom and a student ask you a question you are not sure the answer of. You could easily type their question up and display it on the board for the whole class to see and learn.

WolfranAlpha has a neat little button, under where you type your question, "random". When you click this, it pulls up random questions and answers. I played with this button for a while just to see what interesting facts it would find. It also has the ability to share your question and answer to Facebook, Twitter, Blog, ect. This search engine has many possibilities for the education world and is something I personally bookmarked in my computer to use for my advantage.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count

Gray Hayes Social Media Chart is a on going counter. It shows how many people are using Social, Mobile, Games, and Heritage. The time frames are now, +1 day, +1 week, +1 month, and +1 year. It is mind blowing to see how fast everything is happening in the world. The numbers are constantly growing from the amount of people liking and commenting on Facebook to the amount of people who have purchased a new television.

Coming from a small town, I never realized how much the world depends on technology. This count is a eye opener to me. As a future teacher, I know it is extremely important for me to stay on top of technology and of course the data. Being aware of how much the world does use technology has a resource is just a start, and Gary Hayes social media count is a wonderful resource as a reminder. This is another great website that I know have bookmarked.

No comments:

Post a Comment