Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blog Post 5

Krissy Venosdale

Dream Big in a cloud Krissy teaches Gifted Education. With her vivid imagination I can just see how much the children must adore her! She really inspires her students to be the best they can be. She strives to make her classroom a place where kids can imagine, create, dream, and explore. Teaching them how to think and not what to think is a huge focus for her!

If I Built a School is an amazing dream! Krissy paints a picture of the most fun and talented learning environment I could ever dream of teaching in! Her dream is so fascinating where "creativity would ooze from every pore in the building. Colorful walls, comfy seating, nooks, and crannies where kids could collaborate, discuss, dream, and learn.". The common core of her dream school would be character, helping others, and being your best.

Owning my own preschool has always been one of my retirement dreams, so this assignment has the wheels in my mind spinning! Sadly, I never really thought much of what it would look like. When I think of a learning environment, I picture color everywhere! Children's and teacher's art covering the walls. A library the size of Texas, so each student could have the access to any book they wanted. Science labs they required field work so children could actually get out of the building. Hands on projects would be a huge part of the curriculum. When I walk into classrooms I want to hear laughter, because learning is fun! Children should want to go to school!

Virtual Choir

Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir video is breath taking! Just the thought of 185 people all harmonizing together over the internet blows my mind! How fascinating is it having people from all over the world participate in such a creative project. Composed and conducted by Eric Whitacre, "Lux Aurumque" merges hundreds of tracks individually recorded and posted to YouTube. The final product incorporates 185 voices from 12 countries to form a "virtual choir" that spanned the globe. His work is truly a piece of art!

Teaching in the 21st Century

Teaching in the 21st Century is a informative video about education that uses technology. This includes pod-casting, blogging, cellphones, etc. Roberts had many lists of the different programs available for students to use such as Facebook, Youtube, Google, Wikipedia, Twitter, and many more. He believes that teachers are the filter of knowledge. Anyone can read information and facts, but it takes teachers to interpret information appropriately in order for students to learn properly. Teaching students to use and love technology will help them not only learn in your classroom, but also help them after school for jobs. Now while technology is a amazing tool in the classroom, it is also important not to forget about the old fashion way. For example, teaching students how to write a research paper where they actually have to use books is important. It will teach them not to be dependent on technology. I hope to have a healthy balance of both in my future classroom.

Flipped Classroom

Flipping the Classroom is a method of teaching that helps the teacher cut down on lecture time while teaching. Dr. Lodge McCammon invented this new style of teaching that involves the teacher making videos for the students to watch at home and for students to do what would have been their homework in class while the teacher is there to help. This gives the students a opportunity to ask questions and get the help they seek while traditional homework leaves them lost and confused. Looking back on my high school years, there were many times I just could not do the application part of my homework and spent many nights staring at a paper because there was not anybody who could answer my questions. Having a video of the teachers lecture would have saved me so much time and would have greatly benefited my learning! If done properly, this new style of teaching can truly make a difference in our educational system. I know as a student, I would love to be taught this way.

3 comments:

  1. Hey I'm Jana! You write very well! The only error I saw was in your paragraph, "Teaching the 21st Century." In the first sentence, "a informative video," should be, "an informative video." Other than that everything seems great! I think it is great you would like to one day, open your own preschool. I hope you accomplish your dream! I also have a question. Would you consider flipping your classroom one day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It will teach them not to be dependent on technology." They already are. So are you. So am I. So are your students-to-be who are still in high school! I often assign a blog post in which you have to report on your efforts to do without all technology invented after 1990 for 24 hours. Less than 1/3 of EDM310 students are able to do it.

    "This gives the students a opportunity to ask questions..." an, not a

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!
    You are a very great writer. The only mistake I see Jana has already pointed it out. keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete